School is out and summer is upon us. The temperatures are climbing and all those fun outdoor activities are beckoning to us. Summer is such a special time, especially for kids. This summer give your kids a fun filled summer and keep them safe with these 5 easy tips.
- Hydrate: Whether your kid is playing a sport or swimming in the pool they need to stay hydrated. Often the pool is the place where dehydration occurs. kids forget that being in water doesn’t mean they don’t need to drink water, you still sweat in water! We give our kids each their own designated water bottle and it gets filled every morning to go with them on whatever adventure they set out on. This year we got them each one of these insulated water bottles and they love them!
- Bug Alert: The bugs can get really bad in the summer and sadly it seems like Lyme disease is on the rise. Take proper precautions using appropriate bug spray or wearing long sleeves or pants when necessary.
- Sun Savvy: Sun burn can ruin not just the day bit the week if you get it bad enough. Teach your kids to apply and reapply often. Keep faces and eyes safe with hats and UV blocking sunglasses and don’t forget the lips and tops of ears! It seems like every sunscreen has been deemed harmful but this kids sunscreen rated well and works great!
- Water Safety: Being able to touch does not make your child safe in the water. I fell like many people put there kid in a few basic swim lessons and then equate height with water safety, please don’t. Enroll your kid in swim lessons that not only teach them to swim but also teach basic safety skills like treading water and climbing out without a ladder. We are huge fans of Goldfish Swim School, there are 3 locations in central Ohio (Dublin, Westerville and Lewis Center).
- Be Aware: Summer is time when many kids have more freedom to explore. Remind your kids to always be aware of where they are and who they are with. Whether it’s at the amusement park or just biking to a friends remind them to use proper safety precautions and stay safe.
Now let’s bring on the summer fun!
This post is written in partnership with Goldfish Swim School, all opinions are my own.