“This post is brought to you by Boudreaux’s Butt Paste and The Motherhood. All opinions are my own.”
I distinctly remember the first time I packed a diaper bag. I was about 36 weeks pregnant with my first child and I was deep into my nesting phase. This meant I was preparing my hospital bags and of course that included a diaper bag with all the essentials for my new baby girl. I can’t remember exactly what I packed but I do remember that I did not pack what I actually needed. Since then I have had 4 more kids and packed more diaper bags than I care to count. All that experience has led me to today when I can easily pack the perfect diaper bag. It doesn’t matter if you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding (I have done both) these essentials are universal to babies.
So what exactly goes into the perfect diaper bag?
First you have to start with the bag itself. Over the years I have had many diaper bags and loved each of them for different reasons. If you like to be hands free, I suggest a Petunia Pickle Bottom Backpack or the SkipHop Backpack. With my first child my bag constantly slipped off my shoulder and whacked me when I bent over, a back pack diaper bag was my saving grace. Once I had my second child and embraced baby wearing that no longer worked so I switched to a traditional diaper bag but one that offered a cross shoulder option like the SkipHop Duo so I could do that when not baby wearing. Finally, there was the phase in my life when I needed a ton of space with 2 kids in diapers and 3 kids not in school for that I loved my Petunia Pickle Bottom Wistful Weekender.
Now that we have the perfect diaper bag let’s fill it up with essentials. Here are the things I think need to be in a diaper bag and why:
- Diapers – I always carry 4 diapers at a time and I only use Pampers. After trying most every name brand and several store brands Pampers is the only one for me and my kids, I especially like Pampers Swaddlers. 4 is a good number because it accounts for most any length of trip and any issues or surprises (with kids those things tend to happen like peeing while you are changing the diaper so you use 2 diapers in one change)
- Boudreaux’s Butt Paste – Yes diaper cream is important and the brand is even more important. This was one thing I neglected with my first child and then my second came along and I learned the hard way how being without it can lead to a painful mess for baby. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste is my favorite brand and they have several options to choose from: Original Butt Paste (for minor or moderate rash), Maximum Strength (for stubborn rash), and All Natural (for minor or moderate rash but made with natural ingredients and is petrolatum free). The natural is my favorite and the maximum is great for my kids with sensitive skin who tend to get more severe rashes. I love that Boudreaux’s Butt Paste uses safe natural ingredients and is still super effective ( and fast acting). In case you are unclear when to use it… pretty much all the time!
- Wipes – Always have a package of wipes, you never want to be caught without baby wipes!
- Muslin or Bamboo Swaddling Blanket: Having one of these can serve several purposes. It is a blanket to keep baby warm or lay baby on as a clean surface. It can cover and protect baby from the sun and it can serve as a nursing cover, it can even be used as a burp cloth in a pinch.
- Burp Cloth – If your diaper bag is small you can skip this and just use your blanket, otherwise have one burp cloth for spit up.
- Baby Toy – Every mom knows to never leave home without some form of entertainment. Whether you choose a wooden teether or rattle, make sure you have something they love.
- For nursing moms: Extra nursing pads and a nursing cover. For bottle feeding moms: 1-2 bottles and plenty of formula. I used dry formula and liked having this formula dispenser full of enough for 3 feedings with me at all times.
- Extra Clothes: Be sure to have on complete outfit change for baby including socks.
Now you can stop right here if you are a bare essentials person but if you want to be fully prepared add these items:
- Extra shirt for mom – for when you get coated in spit up or other bodily fluids.
- Hand sanitizer
- Snacks – as they start into food be sure to have food, I love the pouches with spoons for on the go feeding
- Baby carrier – I love the Boba Wrap for newborns and the Boba 4G for up to 2 years old.
So now you know how to pack the perfect diaper bag and you will never be caught unprepared.
WIN IT: I am helping you stock your diaper bag by giving away a Boudreaux’s Butt Paste prize pack valued at $35, enter in the form below.