Here in Columbus, Ohio we have a fantastic downtown fireworks celebration called Red, White and Boom. I have many fond memories of hopping on the COTA bus at Upper Arlington High School and riding downtown for the afternoon. We enjoyed yummy food, good music and lots of great company as we reveled in the 4th of July festivities. Then once the fireworks were over we hopped back on our COTA bus and headed home missing a nightmare of traffic and enjoying a ride on the bus with friends.
It shocks me how many people here in Columbus, Ohio do not realize what a great option COTA is for Red, White & Boom. Here are the details of how you can Zoom to Red, White & Boom and have all the fun without the headache of parking and traffic.
Full disclosure I received complimentary tickets.
In addition to extended service on regular lines, COTA has seven Park and Ride locations offering Express service to downtown between 5:30p and 8:30p. The bus will drop riders off at Huntington Park. Show your COTA Park & Ride wristband to get into the ballpark for free. Huntington Park activities include live entertainment by McGuffey Lane and Phil Dirt and the Dozers, face painting for kids, inflatable games, and more. Concession stands will be open. After the fireworks, buses will leave Downtown between 10:45p-midnight from designated Red, White and BOOM! boarding zones. Boarding zones can be found here, or ask any COTA employees wearing Red, White and BOOM! t-shirts.
The Park and Ride locations are:
• Crosswoods – #32 Crosswoods Express 7460 Huntington Park Dr., at Crosswoods Center, northeast of (I-270 and N. High St.)
• Dublin – #58 Dublin Express 4450 Dale Dr., northeast of U.S. 33/SR 161
• Gahanna- #41 Gahanna Express Agler Rd. and Stygler Rd., northwest corner on Agler Rd. at the southern end of the Royal Plaza Shopping Center
• Grove City- #64 Grove City Express 2321 Old Stringtown Rd., southwest corner of Stringtown Rd. and Parkmead Dr.
• Olentangy/Bethel – #62 Olentangy/Bethel Express 4990 Olentangy River Rd., southeast corner of Bethel Rd. and Olentangy
• Reynoldsburg – #45 Reynoldsburg 2100 Birchview Dr., near Birchview Dr. and Eastgreen Blvd.
• Westerville – #36 Annehurst 312 W. Main St., east of Cleveland Ave. on the north side of W. Main St.
Wristbands, which provide round-trip fare and free entry to Huntington Park can be purchased from the Park and Ride location. Fare price:
• $5.50 – Adult
• $2.00 – Children 48” tall and over through the age of 12, Senior/Key/ADA ID card holders