Embassy Suites surveyed Parents Magazine readers and found that more and more people are becoming vacation dabblers instead of vacation maximizers.
* A majority of families, 56%, classify themselves as Vacation Dabblers meaning they take vacation days throughout the year.
*Just 13% are Vacation Maximers who save up days for one big long trip.
*Only 4% are Vacation Accumulators who hold onto days until the end of the year and end up in a use ’em or loose ’em situation.
This year we are definitely vacation dabblers and are taking several small trips. In order to maximize these brief trips we follow a few simple rules.
1. We choose a hotel that offers in room features that let us be flexible with meals and smacks. With little kids a refrigerator and microwave are a must!
2. We make the destination our entertainment and do not pack our days full of activities. For example one trip was to Great Wolf Lodge and another will be to the beach. While at Great Wolf Lodge we enjoyed the lodge and all it offered and did not explore the surrounding area. When we go to the beach we will relax and enjoy the beach instead of packing our days full, that leads to exhaustion and vacation burn out!
3. We have little kids so we drive at night leaving after work so we don’t waste any vacation time in the car and it makes for a faster trip with sleeping kids.
4. Bring food with you. We pack snacks and breakfast food (when not provided by the hotel) to save money and allow us to have more relaxed days.
Embassy Suites partnered with Dr. Biali, a health and happiness expert, to provide tips to help families “more-imize” vacation time.
- A general rule of thumb is people need 3 days to reap the full restorative benefits of vacation time
- If you are a Vacation Dabbler make sure you actually use your days to relax and not run around doing errands. If you are a Vacation Maximizer be sure to give yourself a transition day to help you catch up on errands before your return to work
- Turn a family obligation into a vacation by taking advantage of sightseeing opportunities.
- Find the perfect balance between activities and relaxation for your family.
- Make the vacation pay for itself by signing up for travel reward programs.
- Make the feeling last by taking lots of pictures and later creating a scrapbook.
I am excited to be an Embassy Suites Ambassador and my family and I will be enjoying a Stay-cation here in Columbus, Ohio soon. Stay tuned for ideas on what to do with your kids in Columbus, Ohio as well as my thoughts on our Embassy Suites getaway!
Be sure to enter the Embassy Suites Get More Vacation Contest to win week long family vacation package!
I wrote this review while participating in an Ambassador Program by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Embassy Suites Hotels and received a one-night complimentary stay at an Embassy Suites Hotel to facilitate my reviews and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.