Everyone wants to keep cool during the hot Summer months but no one wants to pay the high bills that come with running air conditioning all summer long. While I love to be cold at night and want the air conditioning on then I am not a huge fan of air conditioning in the day. I find that I tend to stay locked inside if the air conditioning is running which is never a good thing, plus the house can start to feel and smell stale from a lack of fresh air. So how do you stay cool without spending a ton of money? Here are a few things you can do to keep your house cool without running the air conditioning constantly. Remember you will not achieve a cold house but a comfortable and cool house is not hard to get.
- Window Coverings. You want to evaluate what kind of window coverings you are using. Are they insulating? You want to notice where the sun comes in and make sure those window coverings are effective insulators. Then when the sun is beaming in you keep those windows covered. By covering the windows you keep the extra heat out and the cool air in.
- Open and Close Your Windows. While you make think leaving your windows open all the time is the way to go that is not necessarily true. On cool mornings open up all your windows then as the day gets warmer shut then and the blinds on the appropriate windows and your house will stay cooler inside longer. At night is the best time to leave your windows open. If you are concerned about safety do not leave ground floor windows open. If like us everything is on the ground floor you may want to look into windows that have the safety latch that locks them open only about 2 inches.
- Ceiling Fans. Ceiling fans are a great way to keep the air moving and your house cool.They can be very inexpensive and easy to install, we have them in every bedroom and almost every room in the house. Keep the running when you are home, they are inexpensive to run and every effective. If you have a whole house fan these are amazingly effective at cooling down your house if you do not have one you may want to look into one as a cost saving item. We had a whole house fan in our old home and do not now, the difference is amazing the whole house fan cooled our house in 10 minutes on cool evenings by sucking in the cool air.
- Turn Off The Lights. Use the natural sunlight as much as possible and turn off your lights they not only create extra heat but are unnecessary on a sunny day.
- Fans. Use fans in your house to keep air circulating. I prefer to use tower fans since they are safer with kids but nothing is as safe and powerful as the Dyson Air Multiplier 10″ Silver/White. This small bladeless fan is amazingly effective, compact and safe for the kids with no blades read my full review HERE.
- Turn It Off. Be aware of all the heat generating electronics and appliances in your house and turn them off. Try cooking in a crock pot, outside on the grill or with a toaster oven if possible instead of using your whole oven. Make sure that electronics are turned off and even unplugged when not in use.
- Dress Appropriately. It is summer wear summer clothes, there is no need to turn on your air conditioning so you can wear long sleeves or pants, dress for the weather and you will be much more comfortable in the heat.
- Turn It Up. If you are worried that your house will be too hot when you get home from being gone and are unable to leave windows open turn on your air conditioning but turn it up so it does not run constantly all day. Pick a temp that is not too cool so when you get home you can open up the house and turn on fans but haven’t run your a/c all day long.
How do you beat the summer heat with out air conditioning?