Now that you have coupons and you have got them organized it is time to use them to your advantage and save lots of money. First you need to be aware of your stores coupon policies. Do they double, how many of the same coupon will they take, can you stack coupons, do they have a loyalty program? These are some of the questions you need to ask before you decide what stores you will be frequenting.
- Do they have a loyalty program? Loyalty programs are a must so be sure to accurately register with the store because often you will get emails or mailing with coupons in them. Make sure you always take your card with you when you go shopping because often prices are different for those without loyalty cards.
- Do they double coupons? Lots of stores are now doubling coupons but many have limitations of how many they will double. In my area Meijer doubles coupons that are $.99 or less but they will only double 2 of the same coupon so if you want to use more you need to make multiple purchases. Kroger in my area will double coupons us to $.99 and they have no limit to the number they will double. My Giant Eagle will double coupons up to $.99 and they limit the number of coupons to 2.
- Can you stack coupons? Some stores have their own store coupons and you can stack them with manufacturer coupons. Meijer has a site called Mealbox and you can use those coupons with manufacturer coupons to maximize your savings. Target also has their own store coupons that can be combined with manufacturer coupons. Target does limit you to printing 2 of each coupon while Meijer has no limit. CVS and Walgreens also allow you to stack coupons, for more details on these stores go HERE and HERE.
- One Coupon Per Item. One tip that shocked me and is not well known is that when a store says one coupon per item they really mean it. So when you take advantage of a buy one get one free deal you can use 2 coupons. Ultimately you are paying half price for each so use 2 coupons to maximize your savings. Some stores will even let you use a buy 1 get 1 free coupon on an item that is buy 1 get 1 free this makes them both free. *Most Walgreens and Kmarts do not allow this.
- Pay attention to Catalinas. Catalinas are those coupons that print out after you have purchased a set number of items. They are usually a dollar amount off that you can use on your next purchase. Make sure you pay attention to catalina deals because if you buy too few items you will miss out on the catalina and if you buy too many you will not get as good a deal.