Time = Money that is a phrase we are all very familiar with but do you ever think of it in terms of your groceries? This principle can easily be applied to the way you grocery shop and can mean instant money saved on your grocery bill. Here is what I mean. When you buy a convenience food you will pay more because some of the work has been done for you, thus it saves you time but it costs you more money. In order to save yourself money do not buy convenience foods, instead do the work your self and you will save quite a bit of money. Here are some examples of popular convenience foods.
- individually packaged snacks. Instead buy the larger bag and separate them at home into containers or plastic bags
- pre-cut vegetables and fruit. Instead of baby carrots or cut broccoli buy the whole head of broccoli and cut it yourself. This can be applied to all fruits and vegetables. Always buy them in their natural form.
- pre-made salads. Instead buy a head of lettuce and the veggies and cut them yourself.
- pre-made baked goods. Instead buy a mix or better yet make it from scratch.
- pre-made dough. Instead use a mix or make it from scratch.
- individual yogurts. Instead buy the large container and serve portions.
- fruit cups. Instead buy the jar of applesauce, can of fruit or fresh fruit and serve it individually.
- shredded cheese. Instead buy the block of cheese and shred it yourself.
- cleaning products that are wipes or individual sponges (one use). Instead buy the liquid version and use a rag or reusable sponge.
- basically any item that has been altered or put into a smaller package to make it more convenient for you will cost you more money. Instead always look for it in it’s natural or original form.
- most of the time bulk it better
While it will take you longer to make your salad or your muffins if they are not pre-cut or pre-made for you the money saved is worth it. Next time you reach for a convenience item think of this, how much am I willing to pay to save me a few minutes? Usually not as much as you are being charged.