It’s that time of year here is Ohio and we already had our first snow day! While our backyard is perfect for sledding, your kids can only sled or play in the snow so many times before they get bored and if your snow day is due to freezing temperatures then kids must sty indoors. Here are a few ways that I attempt to keep my kids from getting too bored and going stir crazy on snow days.
1. Dance party, we turn up the kids favorite music and dance and sing along. This is a great way to tire the kids out too. Join in yourself and burn a few calories, you can even add a hairbrush microphone and costumes!
2. Have an indoor picnic. Doing ordinary things in different ways is always fun for kids so lay down a blanket for snack time, lunch time or every meal for a day and enjoy a fun indoor picnic.
3. Edible art, this takes creativity since you can’t go get supplies so far we have built marshmallow and icing towers, painted with frosting (yogurt is healthier but we are out), made pretzel and icing creations and made soft pretzels in all kinds of fun shapes, this soft pretzel recipe is easy and delicious.
4. Bring snow inside in a bucket and make snow creations before it melts. We lay down beach towels and use big bins (think the ones you store clothes in) and let the kids build with the snow before it melts. If you have a water table that is great for indoor snow play too.
5. Bake cookies, who doesn’t love fresh cookies and my kids love to help bake.
6. Arts and crafts ( thankfully I have a stocked arts and crafts bin) we are making valentine’s but you can also create Tear Art Books.
7. Build a fort with chairs, and blankets and pretend play
Those are 7 ways we beat cabin fever and enjoy our snow days, when all else fails mom puts on a video!