Congratulation sot #68 Hannah b the winner!
I think Rick Bayless makes some of the best Mexican food and his recipes are just amazing. Rick Bayless along with 2 other celebrity chefs have teamed up with Avocados from Mexico to bring you an amazing giveaway. Throughout the month of October, avocado fans can enter at facebook.com/theamazingavocado to win one of the three holiday parties in their own homes prepared by:
- Roberto Santibanez: Restaurateur and author of “Truly Mexican” (dinner on Thursday, December 1)
- Iliana de la Vega: Culinary educator and restaurateur (dinner on Friday, December 2)
- Rick Bayless: Bravo’s Top Chef Masters Season One Winner and Chef/Owner of Chicago’s Frontera restaurant (dinner on Saturday, December 3)
These holiday feasts will feature a menu of authentic Mexican recipes and new ways of incorporating avocados into traditional holiday menus. The recipes are sure to become a favorite, as Chefs Rick, Iliana, and Roberto share their personal favorite holiday recipes with your friends and family. In addition, three second-place winners will receive a one-year supply of avocados.
Want a Rick Bayless recipe that uses avocados, check out this delicious dish:
Mexican-Style Shrimp Cocktail Cóctel de Camarón
Unexpected as it may be for many Americans, market stalls and street stalls all over Mexico put together shrimp cocktails for hungry crowds everyday and serve them up with packets of soda crackers. And not just on the beaches. Honestly, one of my favorite street-stall shrimp cocktails is at Mexico City’s El Caguamo, which follows the pretty traditional pattern of making “cocktail” sauce from ketchup, Mexican hot sauce and fresh-squeezed lime, then mixing in shrimp, avocado, cilantro and onion. Elemental satisfaction.
Working Ahead: The sauce can be made, covered and refrigerated for several days before serving. Finish the cocktail within an hour or so of serving.
Make 4 cups, serving 6 to 8 as a starter
- 1 pound (71 to 90 pieces per pound) peeled, cooked small shrimp
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Mexican hot sauce (such as Valentina or Tamazula)
- ½ cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh cilantro (thick bottom stems cut off)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small white onion, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ¾ cup clam juice, shellfish stock or water
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from the skin and sliced
- 2 to 3 dozen crackers (standard-issue saltines or artisanal crackers) OR 8 to 12 ounces of tortilla chips
- 2 limes cut into wedges
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, ketchup, hot sauce, cilantro, lime juice and onion. Stir in the clam juice, stock or water. Taste and season with salt if you think it needs it. Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
Serve the cocktail in small bowls topped with slices of avocado, accompanied by saltine crackers (for a very authentic touch) or tortilla chips and lime wedges for your guests to squeeze on.
Credit “Fiesta at Rick’s by Rick Bayless”
Win It: After you enter to win the celebrity meal be sure to enter my giveaway for an Avocado Kit ( includes avocados, platter and avocado scooper/pitter). To enter tell me your favorite way to eat avocados.
Once you have completed the mandatory entry you may do any or all of the following extra entries.
* Friend me on Google Friend Connect (bottom of blog)
* Subscribe to my blog via email or feedreader
* Twitter about this giveaway with a link back, you must also be following me @ThriftyChicMom. Copy and paste: Win an avocado kit from Avocados from Mexico & @ThriftyChicMom http://tiny.cc/upym6 #giveaway (you can do this once a day!)
*Friend Thrifty & Chic Mom on Facebook
* Email a friend about this giveaway with a link be sure to CC me thriftyandchic (at) gmail
Open to US residents, ends 11/2 at midnight EST.Winner will have 3 days to respond or a new winner will be drawn. I received product to facilitate my review, all opinions are my own.